Wednesday 28 May 2008

Welcome to the Calx Europe Blog

Welcome! My name is Nigel Dunn and I am the Principal at Calx Europe - I think the profile about says all is needed about what Calx Europe does so I shan't repeat it.

The aim of my blog is to open up discussion on key topics that 1) challenge companies that want to enter the European market and what thinking is needed, and 2) the issues that face all companies and organisations about finding the right talent to fuel their business for the future and then retaining it. I dare say I will introduce other topics as time goes on and feel free to mail us and let us know what other areas of topics you may want dealt with.

I hope in the coming weeks and months to share some insights in how to start thinking and preparing for business expansion in Europe and much more. I am passionate about helping Hi Tech companies grow in Europe and I am passionate about businesses finding the right people.

I can be controversial in my thinking but as a marker, for those of you who read Linked In and view my answers, you will know I believe the standard of recruitment in business today is very poor. Okay, I am mincing my words - it's dreadful. What it is more it is costing business vast sums of money for which no one is accountable, wasting opportunity, squandering profit, lowering standards and putting the wrong people in important jobs. Yet companies are prepared to shell out vast fees for contingent recruiting time and again for at best a few hours work. Further, mainstream blue chips are outsourcing one of the most vital services to the business to enhance its future profitability, preserve its culture and vision and keep its customers happy, to third parties who can even be offshore. To save a few quid? It's creating a time bomb - a talent deficit - that will hurt the companies that do so. The time bomb may possibly go off in recessionary times - so stand by!

I will also be introducing some trusted partners of ours who help us deliver the quality service to our clients from company set up, to back office accounting firms, to legal counsel, to IFAs for employee benefits, web design, IT support, Psychometric Testing, Business Improvement, Training, Recruitment and many more - but of course our most valuable partnerships, our clients will take pride of place.

For those of you who may have come into contact with Calx Europe or me personally in the past, please feel free to contact me and help me add to the blog (info@calxeurope.com)

One of the most interesting topics worth discussing early will be Online Social Networking and its adaptation to business - is it just a fad or will it really become a key way to generate business for the future? In the coming weeks, with the aid of a few expert friends, I will hope to shed some real light on that but I will give you my direct experiences in this blog.

The Economic Climate - I will try to keep politics out of the serious business discussion but we can't ignore the impact of political decisions on business. I hope to introduce a few insights on business conditions in the UK and Europe with the aid of some experts who have unique insights.
I shall also be introducing my extended colleague set - the TBK Network which spans all the major countries in Europe, USA and beyond (latest addition is in India). The TBK Network is a network of business professionals who work together on projects and assignments to help companies rapidly expand their global presence, check out the website (http://www.tbkconsult.com/) to start but I will be featuring the CEO of the founder at TBK, Hans Peter Bech in the blog in the near future.

And finally, I will be looking for new topics to discuss that may not even relate directly to my business. The blog will obviously help promote my business but I hope it will become much more than that for the future.

I look forward to interacting with all those that take the time to read it.

No comments: