Friday 6 June 2008

Does an MBA make a difference on a CV?

Hot on the heels of yesterday's blog post and my Linked In question, I got a great response from one person who indignantly and rightly pointed out that it was insulting to suggest a degree was not relevant after all that hard study. And particularly in his case as he had an MBA - and he was indignant that my post might further damage his job prospects.

What makes an MBA different?

Astute readers will notice that in yesterday's blog and LI question, I clearly excluded from the discussion 'vocational' degrees - those which were pretty fundamental to a chosen career path like medicine, law, engineering, dentistry, architecture etc. Having these degrees are in no way tying you to those particular professions, mind you. I once employed a dentist as a salesman because he was bored of looking into peoples' mouths. He didn't last long as a) he realised there was far more money to be made in private cosmetic dentistry and b) there was the small matter that he wasn't much good at selling. There are other examples like lawyers becoming politicians but the point being if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer you MUST have a degree in that subject as a prerequisite.

For those even more astute readers, you will have also noticed that I deliberately excluded MBAs from the discussion. And there was method in my madness as I wanted to dedicate a distinct discussion about MBAs.

There are a few reasons. An MBA degree is an advanced qualification which is specifically designed for business is the first. The second is that many take an MBA as a deliberate choice on top of a 'basic degree' and with business very much in mind - in other words it is 'vocational' to business. I don't know if there are many doctors that have MBAs but it isn't as applicable to that profession. Another reason, is that many either take time out in their career or, harder still, study in parallel to their career in order to better themselves. That shows a very high level of commitment and ambition as well as learning ability. Often these will be done with the blessing and commitment of their current employer which indicates the kind of worth employers put on MBAs as an advanced qualification. But there are those who entirely fund their MBAs themselves - that is like any entrepreneur investing in themselves for a better future and, to my mind, shows unique levels of ambition and determination.

So does an MBA make a difference?

Like having a medical degree doesn't mean that you are going to be a good doctor, having an MBA does not mean you are going to be particularly good in business. More so, at least a medical degree means that you have demonstrated you grasped the rudiments of the scope of knowledge required to be a doctor, an MBA does not mean you even remotely know all the things required to be successful in business. This was rather famously demonstrated in the excellent book http://www.amazon.com/What-Teach-Harvard-Business-School/dp/0553345834 by the late Mark McCormack. Some MBAs can be quite narrow in their focus and subject matter too.

It is my assertion that in the selection process an MBA does make a difference. For the reasons I stated above, generally it shows that someone has made a real commitment to further their ambitions and invested time, effort and money in doing so. An MBA is very often gotten through a fair degree of personal sacrifice and again this shows great determination. When you are looking at finding special qualities in people, who are prepared to dig that little deeper to get what they want or who do indeed 'enjoy a challenge', as interviewees glibly say, people with MBAs will often be those sorts of people.

Like many things in the selection process, it is only an indicator and something to explore. After all, you need to check where the MBA was gained from - there are hooky sources.

So what's special about an MBA?

I generalise here and would like to get further comments from people with MBAs and experiences from people who work with people who have MBAs, but here is my take.

MBAs take things like Business Studies to the next level. They often can be particularly helpful in understanding the dynamics of marketing, strength and importance of brand, they are very good at understanding organisation structures, corporate governance, contract law, internationalisation, global economics, geopolitics, enterprise resource management, corporate finance, capital management and raising capital, mergers and acquisitions and above all business planning and strategy. Many of those subject areas are particularly relevant to large enterprises and so MBAs are often less valued by SMEs because they see them as less relevant and there may be a fear that 'over qualified' people may affect the delicate balance of their company culture.

One particular 'profession' I believe an MBA has less relevance for is the noble art of sales. Usually, people take MBAs to move away from sales into wider business management. I find many people who have MBAs who have not been in sales lack a good deal of understanding of the subject - but then again we sales-types would say that about anybody who hasn't 'carried a bag' as my American friends would say.

Does an MBA help you succeed?

This is where we need the input of real people - I don't have an MBA so I can only give my won view. I have seen some incredibly successful MBA people. Only yesterday, I researched a company based in Taiwan and found that the entire executive management team had MBAs - don't be surprised to find they are an amazingly successful company.

MBA people have a tremendous understanding of how to prepare a business venture. With understanding in how to research markets, how to make well thought out assumptions, how to construct a proper business plan, how to concoct a real strategy that can be tested, how to budget and forecast, how to forecast capital requirements and usage - MBA people have a good grasp of some of the areas that 'seat of the pants' business people get wrong that are very often at the heart of their failure or lack of performance in business. And I will hold my hand up to that - I have failed before through poor planning.

These MBA 'skills' have a real relevance not just for large enterprises but also SME and even start ups. It's no surprise that at the heart of many US Hi Tech start ups lie MBA qualified people. The more you know the greater the chance of success in business although, particularly in sales, it is what you don't know that will often lead to failure.

The final word

As with anything in life, it often is not about what you know. It is very much about how you apply that knowledge. A great MBA student may not be the best at executing plans. But what if you teamed an MBA with a person good at execution? The US and other countries particularly in Asia have really understood how to apply MBAs in organisations. The degree is highly valued and it is certain that MBA graduates in those countries enjoy greater rewards than they would have done without the qualification - the qualification is valued. These countries have learnt how to apply the knowledge and that may not actually have the MBA person executing plans on their own but be part of teams.

This is where I think the UK is missing a trick. The MBA qualification is often seen as some kind of 'better than you'-stigma qualification and not valued. In the process of talent acquisition, I think many managers ignore it and sometimes consciously screen it out because they fear anyone more qualified or better able than themselves. It comes back to my views on the cost of bad recruitment - I think recruitment in the UK is not taken seriously enough nor are people made accountable for poor recruitment decisions that are the biggest hidden cost to any business and they are repeatable year after year.

I have lately met a lot of people who have MBAs that are struggling to find jobs and certainly not those that are willing to value the advanced qualification they have. Recruiters and recruiting managers in companies should take a long hard look at themselves because an MBA qualification will often indicate a person who has made the greatest sacrifices to better themselves in interrupting their career and investing their time, effort and money to bet on themselves. For those who haven't done that, you won't understand what I'm talking about. It's called 'Entrepreneurism'. That's something when mentioned by interviewees I am quick jump on and demand 'Show me'.

I would love to hear your views - does an MBA make a difference? From employers, to those with MBAs and those without them. Has it made you more successful? What makes it special? Is it just a show off degree and has no relevance on business?

13 comments:

Sojan said...

Nigel,

I completely agree with you. In May 2008, I have added an MBA to my education portfolio. It required 200% committment and sacrifice to complete the course. I am not really sure how potential recruiters would view the additional title but atleast they can be assured of the learning capabilities and commitment.

As always with everything else an MBA alone cannot guarantee success but it says something about the individual. So recruiters, "try to read it",

Sojan Samuel

Anonymous said...

Hi,
MBA from a Premier institute does make a difference in the CV.

Today MBA is considered a tool to fetch high paying jobs. Candidates completing MBA think that they can negotiate and get a salary raise.

But just mentioning MBA would not suffice. Skills are also essential.

Regards
Amit Bhagria
http://howtomanagehumanresources.blogspot.com/

MBUintelligence said...

Hello,

I agree with Matt. It just depends how important is for the seeker. I think intelligent companies/seekers are not so preocupied with closed education programs. They are concerned about structure performancce improvements, and for that they need other special skills. Even for education there is an optimum, in my opinion. That optimum is the opportunity that you have to implemment what you learned in the MBA. If you get a job that is not directly related, you got an MBA and you payed good money, and at the end you can not take competitive advantages from it...

Regards,
Good question
Ricardo Andorinho
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/80341/2D8A144E762E
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ricardoandorinho

Marketing Branding N Common Sense said...

Hi Nigel,

I do believe an MBA helps. And I say this from my personal experience. I had not done a post grad MBA when I left college.(not that I didn’t want to, but some circumstances kept me from persuading it then!). I thot I’d pick it up later but I got married, had a kid and so on. (to do a part time MBA would mean I would actually have to just focus on work and the course!)

I would be lying If I were to tell you that it made no difference. It did become some sort of a hindrance – I felt I had to show much better results than my fellow MBA colleagues to prove my skills and abilities. As I grew, I felt lack of it was going to hinder my growth. I even had a couple of head-hunters tell me, get a part time course done and just have an MBA on your resume coz a lot of opening we can’t push you since you do not have the MBA stamp! Finally, about 3 years back I decided to go ahead and get myself an executive MBA degree. (My son was old enough not to need me as much by then and I said I need to do something for myself too!). I honestly signed up the course just to get a ‘stamp’ so to say.

But the actual course opened my eyes wide. The approach, the methodology, the total business angle and all of that made me realise finally that an MBA is important if you need to be a complete business person. I must say I learnt a lot – chief being how to think clearly and how to apply certain principles. It opened my view, it made me see the larger aspect of business lot more seriously. Today, I feel I am a much better professional than I was then. And am actually looking forward to doing another refresher course in the next 2 years too (my personal target!)

Maybe the geography I operate in is different, maybe my industry demanded an MBA but I learnt that it was much more than a stamp.

While this has been my experience, I would also agree with you that ultimately its about how much you take out of it and apply it that makes the difference. You could have topped the class and read every word in the textbooks given, but until you apply them rigorously and use that knowledge, I would not make a difference.

Hope this helps!

Jermina

P.S. the courses are physically and mentally demanding – I attended to my work and home till 10pm and then used to sit up till almost 1am every night. But it was so intellectually stimulating and that compensated.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jermina

Unknown said...

If your CV is being vetted by HR before being passed to the line manager then an MBA is another filtering mechanism, for people who don't really understand the job, to whittle the pile of CVs down to a manageable size. As with all these qualifications (for example MCSE) their relevance can be limited ... 10 years experience or the right attitudes or an MBA ... I know which two I'd prefer.

Will an MBA (with the focus is on the word ADMINISTRATION) really help you to drive a business forwards? Where is the focus on sales and marketing, business improvement and project management. Where is the grounding in business and entrepreneurial expertise.

Robert Townsend in his fantastic book 'Up the organisation' wrote: "Don't take on Harvard Business School graduates. This worthy enterprise confesses it trains its students for only three posts executive vice-president, president and chairman ...

By design the "B-School" trains a senior officer class, the NON-PLAYING Captains of Industry. People who upon graduation are given a whirlwind tour of their chosen company and then an office and a secretary and some work to do while they wait for one of the top jobs to open up.

This elite in my opinion is missing some pretty fundamental requirements for success: humility, respect for people on the firing line; deep understanding of the nature of business and the kind of people who can enjoy themselves making it prosper; respect from way down the line, a demonstrated record of guts, industry, loyalty down, judgement, fairness and honesty under pressure."

But the MBA does show the individual's commitment both in money, time and effort and in a desire to better one's self.

Ultimately what needs to be considered is that the MBA is bought by you! You pay a fee. The learning provider doesn't really want to fail anyone. So as long as you have the money ... This does rather degrade the qualification in my opinion.


So why do an MBA then:
Learn / expose yourself to some useful tools and techniques
Meet some interesting people – networking to further your career

When to do an MBA:
To raise your career to a new level because you have been pigeon holed – if you want to stay in a company that does this to you (limits your potential to help them grow the business)
When every other manager has an MBA it becomes an entry qualification

What differentiates you on your CV:
Your ability to think and communicate your thinking to others
Your relevant experience and how you dealt with similar situations
How you can make a relevant contribution that will drive the business forwards
How you can sell yourself (make your potential bosses life easier)
How (at a senior level) you have a vision, direction and passion to improve / transform the business and have done this before
Experts you can rely on
Proven processes that you use
How well you understand the market and the business and the issues it is facing
How you make your CV relevant
How you set your CV out to reflect / support the points you are making

David Berclaz said...

I admire all answers, but honestly PEOPLE make the difference and not an MBA on a resume. Look at the greatest bankers full of higher education who failed to work with sub primes. Please stop to be stuck with black lines, read between them.

Great recruiters have the instinct to read beyond resumes !!

BW said...

HI Nigel

Sometimes I think we are so focused on what the employer is looking for we lose sight of what we have accomplished ourselves. If someone decides to put in the work and effort to complete an MBA, regardless of what the employer is looking for, should that person not be proud of that accomplishment? The CV is a glimpse on paper of a person's career journey and I firmly believe that we need to enjoy and celebrate the journey. So, if it is important to the owner of the CV, it should be on the CV.

Continued Success

Betty

warrior princess said...

If I see only business studies plus MBA on a CV then I don't look at it at all. But if I see a degree in another field such as engineering then MBA on top may take my attention. But what I care about more is if the person can demonstrate "people" skills.
The rest is just a theory.

If you can apply theory into practice, whether you have MBA or not you are welcome. (No offence to MBA folks – don’t get me wrong, I definitely support any further high education)

Anonymous said...

Dear Nigel, Let me ask a rhetorical question first: You're not asking will having an MBA make a difference despite the fact that one has terrible people skills, no practical business sense, poor clothing sense, and body odor to boot, right? Because that question should then be rephrased to: Can an MBA sufficiently make up for (all those bad things) in the hiring process. The answer to that question is "It depends and probably no."

But if the question is: "All other things being the same, would an MBA make a difference in the hiring process?" I would think it would be a positive differentiator.

Unknown said...

I have to go with Matt's response. I have met with many resources who find "zero" value to one's MBA for the following reasons:
a) The position one is applying does not demand such degree
b) One may become an automatic threat to the hiring manager (I met with resources who agreed with that statement and eliminated candidates).
c) A MBA does not automatically make a genius. Many MBA graduates can only regurgitate data without the ability to formulate their own answers (critical thinking).

-Ian

Liam said...

Hi

I've got an MBA, so i think i am reasonably qualified to give an opinion on this topic.

MBAs don't give you experience, and experience is what the recruiters want most of all.

MBAs don't give you people skills, and i'm sure we've all dealt with a few of them in our time.

MBAs don't teach you to sell - either ideas, products or services.

MBAs do give you analytical skills and help you developing skills in handling lots of information in a short period of time to come to a conclusion.

Regarding the comments on workload and commitment, that depends on how the person got the MBA. If s/he paid for it him/herself while working at the same time, or saved the money up to take a year off work to do an MBA, then this shows considerable commitment. I suspect that this kind of person would be successful without the MBA because they have the drive to be successful. (Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard and has been laughing all the way to the bank ever since!)

If, however, the MBA holder got it because his/her family paid for it as soon as s/he finished school, then we have an over educated graduate who's probably only fit to make the tea in the office. Such people can be extremely dangerous and, unlike the military, there is usually no civilian equivalent to putting a young officer with an experienced sergeant to show him how things are done and have a quiet word in his ear when he makes a mistake.

The other reservation I'd have about MBAs is that some employers may not want someone with an MBA because their salary expectations will be too high. An MBA may also scare off potential employers.

Hope this is useful

Liam

Unknown said...

Hi Nigel,

Picking up on the comments so far, I agree that to attain a MBA does take 200% commitment, especially for those who study part-time, whilst working in a full-time position. I believe that the MBA, as well as providing academic credibility, also signifies a journey of experience. It provides the opportunity to share knowledge and experience with others from a breadth of business sectors – this, I believe, it what many employers or recruiters fail to recognise. Having said that, in my experience, I have other academic qualifications but not at degree level and achieving the MBA has made a notable difference when applying for positions.

In summary, I would therefore say that it does make a difference on a CV – in terms of providing greater opportunity to secure the initial contact, however it then comes down to the other factors, such as personality, first impressions, confidence and so and so forth.

Stephen Russell

jimfredt said...

You have to know that firms that are serious about MBA only hire from aacsb.edu accredited schools and the other programs are just like an MS for jobs where the masters is a legal requirement but quality is not. You will not learn anything you can use from a degree mill and no one will hire you. Even when they have AACSB, they give different pay for different school quality.