Tuesday 27 December 2011

The Social Network is on Holiday


It's funny, isn't it. We even take a holiday from blogging and Tweeting at Christmas time. Now why would we do that?

Just out of morbid curiosity I turned on my Twitter this morning to see that the number of Tweets since Xmas Day was minimal. Emma James, the Bucks Naturist and all round fitness superstar was chirping like a bird about her local area, Shane Warne was lovey-doveying about Elizabeth Hurley, 'Bumble' was watching Poirot, Aggers was watching Downton Abbey and Rory McIlroy will be in Thailand with his gorgeous girlfriend. Mercifully the usual rubbish was missing and I could actually read some things that were vaguely interesting.

But blogging was down too as everyone focused on Christmas festivities, eating and drinking. It's the way it should be, I might think. But why would people suddenly be quiet over the Christmas period when they probably have more to say than at any other time? Why would they forsake their computer or phone when it is only yards away?

We know that roads are clearer, we expect it. We know that families are together - but so what? Tweeting takes just a  second.

Wait a minute. The workplace is empty. 

Ah, so that's it. We Tweet and blog only when we are meant to be working, is that it? We take a family holiday and we stop. Now isn't that a thing?

I can only guess at the volume decrease but if my Twitter was registering over 10% of the normal volume of Tweets then I would be overcalling it. The same for blogs. 

So what, I hear you say. This is serious, is my reply.

From an advertising point of view, TV takes enormous share at Christmas time as viewing figures go higher so there are some incredibly expensive shows to sponsor. Advertisers make money at Christmas time - in fact, any time when families are together. Weekends, national holidays etc. 

It's the exact opposite for social media. I have no idea about Facebook as it is a noise to me but for the ones I use, I see no activity at all. That will be for the best part of two weeks.

That's a serious consideration in this valuation tomfoolery. Social media is at its peak during working hours and non holidays. It's value for users seems to be at its height at times when they should be working.

If an employer is reading this, they might consider filtering all social media sites from employees on their networks. It's a productivity theft system. Or they might have a light bulb above their heads and think, 'How can I turn this to my advantage?'.

But for those whizz kids and their investors at these social media sites, I might just be a little concerned that such a dramatic drop occurs at such times.

Happy, Happy Christmas everyone.

No comments: