Monday 19 September 2011

Beware of Social Media Influence Scoring Gizmos

Hot on my blog last week about how using multiple retweets can dramatically increase your 'Influence' indices online, I have an update.


I stopped retweeting the day I blogged about this subject. Since then, my Ecademy score has dropped and I have dropped from 59 to 70 in the ranking. I have seen a 1.39 drop in my Empire Avenue share price and I haven't yet seen my updated Klout or Peer Index scores but I dare there will be a corresponding drop shortly.

In the meantime, I have written two blog articles that have been more widely read and commented on than any other I have written for over two years, and mentioned more times in one week on Twitter than in any previous week. I have not issued anything to Linked In or Facebook over the same period.

I think it proves a sad point. Online influence has not much to do with what you say but how much you say.

Such a system of scoring cannot possibly be taken seriously or even considered at all by any potential employer as it lacks any credibility. So a lot of current vogue theory needs to be revised on the matter, in my opinion. While these scores may be good if you are pursuing a career in online Social Media, they cannot be taken for anything more than 'noise value' for an employer.

In fact, as I blogged last week, it can be highly detrimental to a career. A high online 'Influence' score can be indicative of a worker who spends too much time online doing nothing productive for the company they are working for.

This whole area of fashionable fad needs to be revised before people start making the poor errors of judgement based on a suspect theory.

No comments: