Thursday 11 December 2008

Another Day Another Microsoft Nightmare - How Do They Get Away With It?

As a small business, I use Microsoft Automatic updates to make sure I get the latest security and bug fixes automatically installed but once again I have awoken to find the 'refreshed' Internet Explorer IE 7 cannot find the internet.

Before you say it, I am using another machine to write this.

As I write

As I write, I have been talking to some poor soul in a country on the other side of the world on my landline and his VoIP with what appears to be a bunch of animals in the background cackling and whooping more like a zoo than a professional call centre. This is the world of Microsoft Support. So far, due the extremely poor phone line and the interminable series of scripted questions, we have spent 60 minutes on the line to determine indeed my browser is not working and yet my external connection is fine, as was given in my opening statement where I told the poor fellow I could still receive mails in Outlook. Exactly the same problem as last time. The helpless chap has just realised that in fact I was routed to the wrong area and so is incapable of solving the problem. This after just over 60 minutes, so I have to call back on the same number.

When The Pursuit of Profit Stifles Service

This is the second time I have experienced the exact same problem. I already know that a rogue patch or update is causing the problem and all I need to know is which one it is, how to uninstall it, wind back the clock to last night so that I can do what I am supposed to be doing, which is trying to do some business.

The problem here is that Microsoft have long lost the connection between service and satisfaction. Maybe some day it will suffer a significant slowdown in sales and profit to realise just because you are big, you can't forget the customer.

That will be some day.

No comments: