Monday 27 April 2009

Plague, Earthquakes - What Next Mexico?

Mexico isn't having much luck. Nearly 150 people are known to have died from the outbreak of swine flu and Mexico City, the largest city in the world, has been described as a 'ghost town' as transport services and shops have shut down.

Just as you might turn up a dodgy 'Chance' card on your Monopoly Board, airline stocks have crashed on fears that people may stop travelling due to fear of catching the virus.

Cases have now been identified in the US and two have been confirmed in returning holidaymakers in Airdrie, in the UK, as well as other countries. What is the only scrap of comfort so far is that all cases outside of Mexico have not resulted in any fatalities. There are several theories on this - perhaps the virus mutates as it passes from person to person, perhaps it is a less virulent strain to certain types of people, maybe a higher percentage of us get flu vaccines or maybe it is the fact that the Mexican health service is really not handling this too well. Who knows.

More Bad News

As I write, an earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter Scale has rocked Mexico City and buildings have shook causing a good deal of panic. I am pretty sure the people of Mexico are beginning to think what have they done to deserve these 'manifestations' - and if they come in three's, what next?

It is not a nice subject and those who have been afflicted by the swine flu have described it as totally debilitating. As one who had thought that every nasty cold I ever had was flu, I got the real thing over Christmas in 1999, going down on Christmas Day and rose again, like Lazarus, on New Year's Eve to watch a firework display and sip a champagne before going back to bed. I couldn't sleep because every time my head went from the upright position, I couldn't breath and I did not have the energy to get out of bed - it lasted over a week and I honestly thought at one point that even if the flu did not get me, then I would put myself out of my misery but did not have the strength to even do that.

It sounds as if swine flu will hit just as hard. Be wary, as although Britain is well prepared according to Alan Johnson, I just hope we haven't spent all our money saving the skins of bankers in preference to real people.

Top up on your Lemsip - it won't do any good but at least you can say you're prepared.

No comments: