Saturday 7 March 2009

Spooky Societies

I have always been a bit wary about societies where you are not quite sure what goes on behind closed doors. It's bad enough not knowing how our leaders decide to go to war with counties but Freemasons, Opus Dei and now, Common Purpose, more than pique my interest.
My first instinct always is to ask - what have you got to hide and why?

Secret Societies

I have had a little exposure to Freemasonry - members of the family have been involved in the past and I enjoyed a very pleasant weekend as guests of very good friends who happen to be Masons to the Champagne region as Freemason Outing. It was enjoyable, good fun and only once was I asked if I was 'On the Square' and I wasn't sure what the question was referring to. What I did get to know is how powerful Freemasonry is as a force of obvious good. Its work and generosity for charitable causes and infrastructure to support its memberships through hardtimes are like having an extended family. I got the overwhelming sense of 'old tie' networking, mock pageantry and of bonhommie. Nothing to be afraid of.

So it intrigued me more as to why there would be ritualistic things and discussions that could not be openly revealed when such a bunch of genuinely nice people get together so regularly, have fun and do good things? I suppose its both historical and maintains a sense of mystery.

Opus Dei I know little about and get more information from things like the Da Vinci Code which can't be too reliable. But ultra religious parts of religious orders scare me - in principle it is not different from extreme forms of other religion like to the Taliban is to Islam. I know people will jump to defend Opus Dei but I am only illustrating how things can start.

Common Purpose

So when I read the article about the news program on Five Live, I wondered what Common Purpose is all about. Founded in 1989 by Julia Middleton, who has since founded think tanks, the basic thrust is a Charitable business for leadership which sounds odd. Tuition fees are high and over 100,000 people have attended courses, with over £208,000 spent by the Civil Service in recent years alone.

Notable supporters are Robert Peston, the man credited with causing the banking collapse which is an absurd accusation to a chap who has just increased his own stock by scary reporting. But it is the secretive and selective rules of engagement which start to get the inquisitive juices flowing.

If you go on the website you are told of these rules - Chatham House Rules which basically says 'What goes on tour, stays on tour', i.e. everyone agrees not to talk about it. Also you have to be prepared to offend and be offended by listening to the views of others. It sort of envisages BNP officials ranting about the problems in society being caused by foreigners or would-be political leaders ranting about 'nuking' Iran - but surely that cannot be?

Some believe the 'Charity' which last year turned over about £6.5m, has a political agenda which stands to reason if the Civil Service spend so much money with them - hardly the least biased organisation in the the Country. The benefits of the courses say that many believe they get skills to develop their management and 'lead beyond authority' which is not explained even if there is a link from the phrase. How intriguing - it again conjures up some manipulative force working unseen behind the role of managing people.

Perhaps best of all, the selection criteria for people to go on the courses is very rigorous. You have to be an established leader or aspiring one and if you are 'too Ipswich' then you are out. Quite what that means I don't know, given Ipswich is the home to one of the foremost research establishments in the UK and possibly Europe at BT's Lab in Martlesham Heath. Lowestoft is nearby and is one of the hubs of the oil industry while Norwich is the home to one the UK's largest insurers - the list could go on. Why would 'too Ipswich' be a barrier to entry?

I love it.

It's probably all a storm in a teacup. I am prepared to go 'underground' and do an investigative report, if someone can stump up the necessary £5,500 for the fees and just hope I am not 'too Watford' or 'too Swansea' to qualify.

No comments: